When it comes to multivitamins and supplementation, gelatin supplements are becoming increasingly popular among individuals of all kinds. This popularity is due to the wide variety of benefits provided by regular gelatin supplementation, which include everything from improved appearance to relief from arthritis and other debilitating conditions. The following is an-depth look at gelatin supplementation, which includes information on benefits, types of gelatin supplements and more.
The Benefits of Gelatin Supplementation
When taken regularly and in the proper dosages, gelatin supplements can provide amazing advantages to several areas of health and appearance. Keep reading for a complete rundown of the benefits offered by gelatin supplementation.
- Higher metabolism. Low metabolism, which is usually the result of hypothyroidism, can lead to a variety of side effects, some of which include weight gain, chronic fatigue and sleep issues. To combat these problems, as well as boost metabolism in individuals with healthy thyroid function, gelatin supplements provide essential amino acids, which enhance energy, promote healthy weight loss and reduce other symptoms of low metabolism.
- Enhanced joint health. Gelatin supplements can provide a number of benefits to joint health, including preventing the deterioration of cartilage, enhancing strength and reducing pain, stiffness and inflammation.
- Healthy bones. Just as gelatin promotes healthy joint function, it also helps improve bone density and overall bone health.
- Improved muscle function. The amino acids found in gelatin supplements can promote the development of muscle mass, improve muscle strength and more.
- Healthy hair. As result of the proteins found in gelatin, supplements are known to provide advantages to hair health. Some of these advantages include healthy hair growth, reduced breakage and improved shine, luster and overall appearance.
- Improved skin tone. Gelatin supplementation can promote clear, healthy skin as well as enhance skin's evenness and tone. Plus, since gelatin boosts the body's production of collagen, it can help reduce wrinkles, tighten skin and improve overall appearance.
- Digestive health. Gelatin supplements can improve the body's ability to digest foods and beverages, which can be extremely beneficial in improving overall digestive health and function.
- Healthy fingernails. Regular gelatin supplementation can strengthen nails, promote healthy growth, reduce breakage and improve the health and appearance of cuticles.
- Reduced food allergies. In individuals with food allergies, gelatin can help reduce symptoms by moving problem foods and ingredients through the digestive system before reactions can occur.
- Liver health and detoxification. The amino acid glycine found in gelatin promotes healthy liver function by aiding the organ in detoxifying the body.
- Enhanced energy. Regular gelatin supplementation has been shown to fight fatigue as well as improve quality of sleep.
Types of Gelatin Capsules
Gelatin supplements are typically available in two main forms: soft-gel capsules and hard-gel capsules. While hard capsules contain dried or powdered gelatin, soft capsules contain a solution comprised of gelatin and oils. Further, soft-gel supplements are usually available in one-piece capsules while hard-gel supplements are sold in two-piece capsules. The main difference between these two types of capsules is that the two-piece variety can be opened while one-piece supplements cannot.
Gelatin is made from animal products, which may present a problem for vegans, vegetarians an individuals who adhere to certain dietary guidelines. However, there are supplements available which contain no meat products or byproducts. These vegan gelatin supplements, which are made from cellulose and other edible products, are just as effective as traditional supplements but without the animal byproducts. Also, for consumers who adhere to Jewish dietary laws, kosher supplements are available as well.